The painting vividly portrays an image of Mokena’s first auto garage in the early days of the Lincoln Highway and a vintage tractor. The building featured is the The Cooper and Hostert Garage, owned by brothers-in-law Barney Hostert and Elmer Cooper.
Mokena was a rural farming community at that time, so beyond selling gasoline and repairing motor vehicles, the garage also sold cars, trucks, and tractors. The Cooper and Hostert Garage became the first Ford Agency in the area, with Henry Ford personally signing their dealership contract. Opening in 1916, they remained in
business until the early 1970s.